Jan 25, 2010

Haruna Ai



I've watched many a clip of her on youtube, performing or participating in other Japanese tv-shows. I thought she was really pretty like most Japanese tarentos. Sure she had a very husky voice but hey, not all girls can have super feminine high pitched voices, right? I know I sure don't!

It wasn't until I read the news that it fell into place for me. Haruna Ai is the first Japanese to ever win "Miss International Queen" a transgender beauty pageant held in Pattaya, Thailand. She was crowned Miss International Queen 2009 in November. Prize consisting of 10.000$, a gift certificate for surgery and a one year stay at Pattaya Hotel.








I must say that at 37, she looks really good. But then again, asians tend to look younger than their age. I almost find it unfair how pretty she looks. Haha!

I think it's great that Thailand is one of the frontrunners when it comes to acceptance of transgendered but I'm also at the same time saddened, knowing that so many asian countries do not keep an open mind when it comes to that topic. Discrimination towards transgendered people is very much a discerning factor in large parts of asia. I think it's sad that the East seems to be so far behind when it comes to opening up and being less prejudical. One can only hope for a better future.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, I just came because it say Haruna ai.

I am Japanese lives in U.S. and I often see her on TV shows off Youtube and I did not know that she was a men.LOL

I can't believe it. she is really pretty.the way she talks and everything its just like us girls. thanks for this post I really enjoy reading!

kuri said...

I think she's quite cute also. However, I have to say, the plastic surgery probably helps her look so youthful. On Japanese TV they listed the cost of the various operations she had - she spent the most on her face apparently.

I totally agree with you on the discrimination in asia. In terms of Japanese TV, it seems like only trans women and gay men are accepted. The few gay men on TV are usually extremely effeminate. However, a few singers are publicly gay. I haven't heard of any public lesbians in general, and I can't think of any trans men who are celebrities. In the regular work place, I don't think anyone comes out, normally.

Still, I'm a foreigner in Japan, so there is probably more out there that I just don't know about.

Chrissy said...

I agree. I wish the east was more open to change, but it seems Eastern countries are very fixated on Tradition.

She is gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

Whaaaa?? I seriously had no clue she was a man! I totally agree with you about how Asian countries still are very narrow minded when it comes to sexual orientation. She looks great though, good for her!

Btw plz give me your email address so I can add you to my reader list :)

ChyiX2 said...

I sent it to you...but I'll write it here just to be sure: chyichyi@gmail.com

Ethereal Prey said...

damn she looks good! i may need to take some tips from her, how to look all sexy and feminine and all that stuff!

alien man?! said...

What I love about the success of these transgenders is that they go through SO MUCH to be where they are now. For the longest time, I was obsessed with Harisu b/c she was so much prettier and more feminine than most women I've ever seen.

Fascinated_by_lightning said...

I totally agree, Asian communities are so closed in that aspect, it is really pity.
But put your faith in time, time will change things..

By the way Chyi, I have added your gmail address in my gmail account.
Hope thats okay!